A Brief History
of the
Old Pinawa Dam Heritage Park


-- Part V --

The Townsite

Log houses in 1913
Log houses in 1913


Initially the town was just the construction site for the dam. The buildings were made of logs and the first homes were also made of logs. By 1908 there were four brick houses that were used by the managers and a two-storey Staff House for the single people. Later, lumber houses were built. The town boasted a brick general store, a town hall, a garage, tennis court, curling rink, a large 3-acre company garden and a school. Barns housed horses, cattle and sheep.

The town was largely self-sufficient. They grew most of their own food, and surrounding homesteads provided items like dairy products and eggs.

A brick house
A brick house

The town had an active social life, the Winnipeg Electric Employees Magazine talked about the parties, the visiting, the curling and the hockey. Fishing and Hunting were a big part of peoples lives. There were picnics, Christmas concerts, and Halloween Parties and dances. In the early days, the younger folk would walk the four miles (6.4 km) to the ferry along a corduroy road to attend social functions near Lac du Bonnet. It was said that the ladies would walk in bare feet, and carry their shoes tied over their shoulders, because they didn't want their shoes to get dirty.

Pearson's house Walsh's brick house in winter
Pearson's lumber house
Walsh's brick house in winter

The Staff House was for single employees Brick homes and water tower
The Staff House was for single employees
Brick homes and water tower

View from the Water Tower
View from the Water Tower showing the Store,
the Staff House and the brick homes
View from the Water Tower showing General Store, Staff House and 4 brick houses. The tennis court in the centre left and upper left, eleven log houses. The hedgerow surrounding the brick structures has grown into mature spruce trees.

A picnic at Pinawa
A picnic at Pinawa

Pinawa Residents
Pinawa Residents

Halloween Party
Halloween Party

 


Why not visit our neighbouring communities?

Last Updated February 16, 2006

Site Design by Granite Internet Services Incorporated
for the Friends of Old Pinawa
© Copyright 2006