OLD PINAWA DAM
“The best Little Park
by a Dam Site"
Friends of Old Pinawa
-- Part III --
Old Pinawa Marketing and Public Relations. This includes promotion
and completion of the amphitheatre, development of a brochure, a web site,
and creating and maintaining contact with relevant government departments.
We are also pursuing partnerships with local businesses and governments,
and historical societies. The goal is to draw in tourists and to promote
the towns in the surrounding area.
Annual Event. The Friends of Old Pinawa host a family event with music,
children’s events and other activities each year. This is a very large
undertaking for such a small group. We are looking for organizations to
partner with us.
- We are building a historical archive of items pertaining to Old Pinawa.
This includes a reference file created from old records,
photographs, magazines and interviews of former residents.
- Extend the heritage walk / Trans Canada Trail to link to the old school
- The additional park lands have given us an opportunity to make a new nature
trail with interpretive signs along the route.
- Seven point trail development around the dam:
Another view of the Spillway
- An improved Spillway Trail traversing the front of the spillway. This
will include bridges over large boulders and a boardwalk over uneven terrain.
- A picnic shelter will provide shelter and warmth during inclement weather.
- AmphitheatreA performer’s tent will provide privacy and a change >area for the
- A roof over the amphitheatre is required to protect the performers and
their electrical equipment during inclement weather.
- Spotlights would be useful for evening performances with
lights suspended from special supports or hang from the roof structure.
- Additional electrical power is needed both at the top of the
amphitheatre and for the lights.
- Amphitheatre Entrance Gate will finish the design construction.
- Nature Hike
- With the park boundary expansion, an expanded nature walk will include
vistas of the swamp and dike.
- Interpretive signs will be added to the trail to
educate hikers about the local ecology.
- A Francis Turbine runner from Pointe du Bois will be placed at the dam.
- Heritage Walk
Install sound posts and tape interviews with residents,
of Old Pinawa for use with the sound posts that will be
located on the historical walk.
- The current walk at the top of the dam will be extended along the top front of dam.
Fencing and concrete is required along the top of the dam. Steps will be added to
allow the walkway to link to the walk at the front of the dam.
- A historical book or booklet.
Time is our worst enemy. Our information gathering depends on interviewing
the remaining people and having them tell their stories. We want to make this
unique park take its rightful place in Manitoba’s history.
The Historic Old Pinawa Dam
While these projects were mostly the ideas of the Friends of Old Pinawa, we wish
to express our appreciation to the staff at Manitoba Conservation, and especially
the staff at the Lac du Bonnet Manitoba Conservation
Maintenance Yard for all their hard work. Without their contribution,
none of this would have been possible.
Why not visit our neighbouring communities?